According to Think with Google research, 55% of leisure travelers take just 1 or 2 vacations a year, putting considerable thought into planning these trips. With limited vacation days, leisure travelers want to make the most of the trips they take. On the other hand, business travelers adhere to a busy schedule of mid-week flights, with different needs than people planning a vacation.
So how can travel businesses, like hotels and airlines, as well as tourism boards reach consumers during the course of their everyday routines? Let’s explore what makes digital out-of-home an essential marketing channel for your travel and tourism campaigns.
Strategies for Success
Travel and tourism encompasses a broad variety of businesses – from regional to international airlines, major hotel groups to boutique resorts, and city visitor groups to country tourism boards. However, there are a number of strategies that can be effectively applied across them all, such as:
- Co-Op & Regional Marketing: Take advantage of partnerships between tourism boards and airlines or local attractions. Boost awareness of both the destination and business in one fell swoop.
- Weather Triggers: Leverage weather conditions in your favor – snowing in New York? Sunny Florida sounds even more appealing…
- Seasonal Promotions: Create custom messaging based on the time of year, whether that be winter holidays, spring break or summer vacation.
Reach Travelers at the Right Place & Time
More and more, digital out-of-home is being used by travel and tourism brands because of its unique power to reach audiences as they move from the awareness to decision-making stage. Whether you’re looking to reach leisure or business travelers, DOOH offers a variety of audience targeting strategies to help you make the most of your campaign. Through Vistar Media’s geospatial technology, we are able to create targeted audience profiles and activate DOOH and mobile media based on consumers’ real-world movement patterns.
A major challenge of travel and tourism marketing is reaching the right travelers, at the right time, in the right place. Vistar’s audiences, determined by certain behaviors or interests and based on the places consumers frequently visit, allow marketers to engage their desired target audience as the move throughout the day. Examples include:
- Frequent Business Travelers
- Leisure and Family Travelers
- International Travelers
- Budget Hotel Visitors
- Outdoor Enthusiasts
- Food and Cultural Aficionados
- Business Decision Makers
A SUCCESS STORY: Learn more about how this state tourism board leveraged Vistar's audience targeting solutions to create an audience of leisure travelers and foodies to increase awareness by 94%, consideration by 104% and purchase intent by an astounding 179%.
First & Third Party Data
Want to target your existing customers – or the customers of a competitor? Vistar’s vast selection of first and third-party data partners enables marketers to take a sophisticated approach to data use. Consider an all-inclusive resort – whether the brand is looking to engage with repeat visitors or attract vacationers who stayed at a resort nearby, marketers can find this perfect-fit data solution through Vistar.
Advanced Data Activations
If you don’t want to leverage Vistar’s audience, first or third-party audience data, consider other ways data can be leveraged such as:
- Audience Affinity: Using geospatial location data, activate media when and where your target customers are most likely to be throughout the day.
- Proximity Targeting: Does your travel brand want to drive sales at specific locations, such as airports or travel agencies? Activate DOOH and mobile screens near these places of interest (POIs) to reach your target audience.
- Time-Parting & Day-Parting: Try time- or day-part when you need your campaign to run only during certain times of the day or days of the week.
- Mobile Extension: Activating on DOOH? Re-engage consumers exposed to your outdoor campaign on their mobile devices to amplify the impact.
- Real-World Retargeting: Take your cross-screen campaign a step further. Safely receive the device IDs of travel consumers exposed to your DOOH campaign, and then re-target them using your preferred DSP.
Leverage Location to Promote your Destination
Much like traveling, DOOH is all about location, location, location! Once you settle on an audience targeting strategy, consider the locations that best fit your travel or tourism campaign. Vistar’s DOOH inventory includes many contextual venue types for reaching your desired audiences, such as office buildings, transit stations, airports, rideshare screens and billboards.
CONSIDER… An airline seeking to increase awareness among both leisure and frequent business travelers. By activating DOOH media in transit and office venues, as well as on billboards, the airline was able to increase awareness by 48% and consideration by 40%.
Make Your Metrics Matter
With the availability of today’s sophisticated measurement solutions, brands are not only able to measure the impact of their DOOH campaigns, but can also gain valuable consumer insights for future marketing initiatives. Brand studies can report on:
- Purchase/Booking Intent
- Preferred Brand Attributes
- Customer Loyalty
- Creative Effectiveness
- Message Association
- Competitive Awareness
- Destination Preference
Learn how you can use digital out-of-home for your travel and tourism marketing initiatives by connecting with Vistar today.